Mother of Multiples
I think I would be curious of the life of a mother of twins if I wasn't living it. So...here is a typical day in our life.
20 bottles
25+ diapers (just the twins)
4-6 hours of sleep for parents interrupted of course
10+ hours my hands are holding someone
Lots of smiles and cries
Each day I wake and rush to wash the bottles scattered in our bedroom from the night before looking like the babies had a fraternity party. Luke wakes and it is breakfast for him while I pray to get a cup of coffee down my throat. I usually have one baby and Blaine the other. Some days he sneaks down trying to give me both so he can sleep a little. Then Blaine and Luke are off to work or daycare. My day is pretty much a catch up from the day before-load of laundry, wash more bottles, change diapers, maybe some other task if I am lucky. On Mondays and Wednesdays I load Benjamin and Tristan up to go pick up Luke. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I have a saintly neighbor who does it. Then dinner where inevitably the first bite of food is about to go into my mouth and ...someone cries. How do they sense that? After dinner-baths for everyone. Luke usually helps me with the babies. Then it is his turn where I get a few minutes of alone time with him. At some point in the night I get my only guaranteed time to myself-the shower. As bed time approaches I yearn and dread it at the same time. I am so tired but know they will be up shortly. This is why I think Benjamin is about ready to be Ferberized. He seems to take longer stretches at night because he does not sleep as much during the day. That is my new mission and it may even start tonight. Tristan will be soon, but he is just a different sleeper right now. Even if I could get one to sleep well, that would make all the difference. So this is a day in the life...it is exhausting.
4 comments:
oh girl, it SOUNDS exhausting!! Those cute smiles must make all the difference though!
Just reading it made me tired! Thinking of you. BTW, your boys are so cute!
I don't know how you do it. I get cranky if I don't get my sleep just one night. Can't wait until it thaws out there and I'm ready to visit and see the boys (when they will hopefully be sleeping through the night).
Oh my dear, dear friend. Thank you for giving me a glimpse. I will keep you in my prayers as I am sure each day holds many challenges......as well as many joys. Wish I could come hold those little bundles and help you for a few days. Maybe when they are 16, but perhaps by then they would find it strange to be held and cuddled by Mommy's childhood friend. hahahahah.
Love you friend.
Post a Comment